It's no secret that psychological health is the key to physical well-being. In the modern world stress concerns each of us without exception. It can`t be avoided, unfortunately, but it can be managed. Most of the products that you can find in this selection have been extensively used in Russia and in the FSU countries for many years. They passed all three stages of clinical trials and can therefore be used for the treatment of anxiety problems such as irritability, bad feelings, nervousness, social anxiety, insomnia, restlessness, anger, etc.
SELANK ® 0.15%
Selank® 0.15% is an anxiolytic peptide drug with nootropic properties. By its structure, Selank is based on endogenous tetrapeptide Tuftsin, which plays an important role in immune system. To slow the breakdown of peptide and prolong its effects, the inventors of Selank added a Glyproline to its structure.
Tafcin was found to have anxiolytic effects in 1995 and over the next decade Russian scientists were focusing on developing a peptide drug that was able to have the most pronounced anxiolytic effects. This research, as well as clinical trials lasted until 2009, when Selank was finally brought to market under the brand name Selank® 0.15%. It is produced on a GMP-compliant factory by Peptogen Inc.
The spectrum of pharmacological action of the drug is unique. It is a popular over-the-counter anti-anxiety medicine with antidepressant and anti-asthenic actions; it also has a capacity to enhance memory and cognitive functions.
The mechanism of anxiolytic action is related to the regulation of norepinephrine, serotonin and enkephalins levels and their metabolism in the brain. It is suggested that another possible mechanism of action is inhibition of enkephalin-degrading enzymes, which increases the activity of endogenous opioid system and explains the mild analgesic effect of Selank.
Numerous clinical trials confirmed the safety of this peptide, which was found to not form a dependence and to be non-toxic even in doses 200-500 times higher than therapeutic ones.
Primary Uses of Selank® 0.15%:
- Anxiety and adjustment disorders;
- Neurasthenia, emotional lability;
- Stress-related disorders.
Is Selank going to be degraded after a long journey from Russia to the US?
- In short, No. It is a pharmaceutical nootropic produced by Peptogen Inc. According to the official instruction (drug sheet), once opened a bottle of Selank® is to be kept at temperatures below 30°C (86°F) for a period of up to 30 days. Apart from that, we want to stress some other points:
- The product contains methylparaben (0.01%), which works as a preservative and ensures longer shelf-life. It is considered safe and is frequently used in other drugs.
- The product is sterile and is produced on a GMP-compliant factory, which is likely to increase storage duration.
- For longer periods of time, Selank should be stored at temperatures below 10°C (50°F). The shelf life of a new product is 2 years if stored below 10°C (50°F).
This implies that if the temperature between 10°C (50°F) to 30°C (86°F) the storage duration is anywhere between 30 days to 2 years, depending on the temperature.
*Up until now, nobody complained about Selank being unusable due to the heat during transportation, though we have been shipping for more than three years by now.
Dosage and Administration
One bottle of Selank contains 60 drops, each having 75 mcg of the active ingredient. The average dose is 2-3 drops in each nostril. Selank should be taken up to 3 times per day.
On-label regimen of Selank is 3 times a day, 2 drops in each nostril, for a period of 14 days.
Irritation of the nasal mucosa and very rare allergic reactions.
Interaction With Other Drugs
Selank has no effect on depressants or stimulants including Haloperidol, Pentobarbital, Hexobarbital and analeptics. It can be combined with psychotherapy. It is safe to use with ethanol containing substances.
Selank was shown to be completely safe even when hundredfold doses were administered.
Keep in a dark place at a temperature less than 10°C (50°F) for up to two years.
Note: If there is a need to increase the effect of Selank, a second dose should be taken 15-minutes after the first one.
Manufacture Contact Details: http://peptogen.ru, Moscow, Russia
AFOBAZOLE stabilises and upregulates GABA and benzodiazepine receptors, exhibits neuroprotective properties, and diminishes anxiety and tensions in the body. The drug is designed above all for people with asthenic personal traits such as emotional lability, e.g. tendency to react emotionally in stressful situations.
Availability: in stock
STRESAM ® [Etifoxine]
Stresam® (Also called Strezam) has anxiolytic properties and can relieve various psychosomatic disorders, while not having negative effects on psychomotor and cognitive domains. The drug was shown to promote neurone growth; in particular, it accelerates axonal regeneration. Etifoxine is also used to alleviate mild depressions.
Availability: in stock
Magne B6 is a drug intended to restore the amount of magnesium in the body. Magnesium is the eleventh most abundant element by mass in the human body and is essential to all cells and some 300 enzymes. Magnesium ions interact with polyphosphate compounds such as ATP, DNA, and RNA. Hundreds of enzymes require magnesium ions to function. It is engaged in transmission of nerve impulses and in muscle contraction. Normal levels of magnesium are important for the maintenance of heart and nervous system function.
The body consumes magnesium with food. Its deficiency may occur as a result of eating disorders (including reduction diets) and an increased need for magnesium in case of intense physical or mental activity, stress, pregnancy or the use of diuretics. Losses of magnesium from the kidneys also become a common cause of magnesium deficit.
Pyridoxine (vitamin B6), one of the drug’s main ingredients, participates in various metabolic processes, and in regulating metabolism of the nervous system, in particular. It improves magnesium absorption from the digestive system into the body’s cells.
The normal adult value for magnesium is 1.5-2.5 mEq/L. Lesser amounts are the evidence of magnesium deficiency, also known as hypomagnesemia. It may cause fatigue or muscle weakness, mental numbness and lack of emotion. Scientists have suggested that deficiency may also cause anxiety and raise blood pressure.
- Martineau et al (1985) Vitamin B6, magnesium, and combined B6-Mg: therapeutic effects in childhood autism https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3886023
- J Eisinger, J Dagorn (1986) Vitamin B6 and magnesium https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3959594
- Kalinin et al (2004) A use of Magne-B6 in the treatment of anxiety-depressive states in patients with epilepsy https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15554143
- O Nogovitsina, E Levitina (2006) Effect of MAGNE-B6 on the clinical and biochemical manifestations of the syndrome of attention deficit and hyperactivity in children https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16579066
- Fathizadeh et al (2010) Evaluating the effect of magnesium and magnesium plus vitamin B6 supplement on the severity of premenstrual syndrome https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3208934/
- Ebrahimi et al (2012) Effects of Magnesium and Vitamin B6 on the Severity of Premenstrual Syndrome Symptoms https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4161081/
- Pouteau et al (2018) Superiority of magnesium and vitamin B6 over magnesium alone on severe stress in healthy adults with low magnesemia: A randomized, single-blind clinical trial https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6298677/
GRANDAXIN ® [Tofisopam, Emandaxin]
Grandaxin ® [Tofisopam] is a non-sedating anxiolytic drug with a unique pharmacological action different from typical benzodizepines.
Tofisopam was first synthesized in 1966 in Hungary, and has been successfully used for anxiety management since 1970s.
Phenibut ® is a derivative of the naturally occurring inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA, which can cross the blood-brain barrier much better than the original compound. Unlike usual tranqualizers, Phenibut ® has both psychostimulating and anxiety reducing effects.
Availability: limited availability
The product is available from different manufactures.
PICAMILON ® [Nicotinoyl-GABA]
Picamilon ® is based on a synthetic combination of GABA and niacin, with the former being responsible for reducing neuronal excitability and the latter acting as a strong vasodilator.
Its effects are similar to those of Phenibut, as both drugs reduce anxiety and improve mood. However, unlike Phenibut, Picamilon ® has a much stronger impact on energy metabolism in the brain because it stimulates consumption of oxygen and glucose by neuronal tissue.
Availability: in stock
ADAPTOL ® [Mebicar]
Mebicar works on the serotonergic system: taken in small doses it increases the effect of tryptophan, which is a precursor to serotonin.
Availability: in stock
The product is available in different sizes and from different manufactures.
Tricardin [Valerian + Hawthorn + Motherwort]
Tricardin is a combination herbal medicine containing valerian rhizomes with roots, motherwort herb and hawthorn leaves.
The preparation has a sedative effect and can be used to treat hyperirritability and sleep and anxiety disorders.
The drug is based on a complex of biologically active substances, including valepotriates, iridoids, flavonoids, procyanidins, glycosides, essential oils, etc.
Motherwort tincture is a well-known natural herbal supplement that has been used in Chinese and European traditional medicine for hundreds of years.
Motherwort is used as a sedative. Motherwort is often compared to Valery, noting that it acts even stronger than the latter. Among other things, a motherwort tincture produces tonic effect reduces the heart rate, which is very important for people involved in sports. A motherwort tincture can reduce blood glucose levels, which is important for people with diabetes.
The development of Mexidol ® is closely related to Soviet chemist Semenov N.N, who was awarded with the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his piece of research on free radicals in 1956. His research was the basis for understanding of the oxidative stress and means to combat it. It also contributed to the development of drugs with antioxidant and anti-ischemic effects, one of which was Mexidol ®.
Mexidol ® has the following effects: anti-ischemic, anti-hypoxic, neuroprotective, and anxiolytic. Many people report strong anxiolytic effects developed during the course of treatment with Mexidol ®.
Availability: in stock
PANTOCALCIN [Hopantenic acid]
Pantocalcin is a nootropic drug that is used in the treatment of various neurotic disorders and psychoemotional stress. The active ingredient of this drug is Hopantenic acid and it has neuroprotective, neurometabolic and neurotrophic properties.
Hopantenic acid (N-pantoyl-GABA) is the higher homologue of D(+)-pantoyl–g– aminobutyric acid (vitamin B5), in which β-Alanine is replaced by γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA). This substance was first synthesized by Japanese researchers in the early 1950s as a part of research on pantothenic acid analogues; then, it was found to be present in the brain of various animal and plant tissues. Subsequent pharmacological study of this compound was conducted in Japan and later in the Soviet Union.
PANTOGAM ACTIVE ® [D,L-hopantenic acid]
The main substance of Pantogam Active® is a hopantenic acid developed in Japan in 1950. The hopantenic acid combines GABA and vitamin B5 that allows GABA to reach neurons of the central nervous system.
Pantogam Active® is a racemic mix of equal quantities of hopantenic acid and its S-isomer. An isomer presence improves a transport and interaction of the drug with GABA receptor. GABA is the chief inhibitory neurotransmitter in the mammalian central nervous system. It plays the principal role in reducing neuronal excitability throughout the nervous system. Pantogam Active stabilizes neurotransmitters, i.e. makes them more resistant to temporary or permanent negative effects.
Availability: in stock
Aminalon is a substance with nootropic and psychostimulatory qualities. Gamma-Aminobutyric acid is the only active component in this drug. Aminalon (C4H9NO2) is a neurotransmitter which slows nerve impulse. Gamma-Aminobutyric acid (also written GABA, γ-aminobutyric acid) is synthesised in the brain from glutamic acid (another neurotransmitter) through decarboxylation (a chemical reaction that removes a carboxyl group and releases carbon dioxide).
BIOTREDIN (L-threonine + Vitamin B6)
Biotredin is a nootropic medication which improves metabolism and boosts cellular energy. The drug is comprised of L-threonine and pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6). Together, threonine and vitamin B6 interact to form: The amino acid glycine, Acetaldehyde.The resulting substance promotes active stimulation of inhibitory processes, oxidation-reduction, and supports respiratory function, and synthesis of adenosine triphosphate in the cells.
- Newman et al (1976) Role of L-threonine dehydrogenase in the catabolism of threonine and synthesis of glycine by Escherichia coli https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC233149/
- S Bell, J Turner (1976) Bacterial catabolism of threonine. Threonine degradation initiated by L-threonine-NAD+ oxidoreductase https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1163767/
- P Lazarus, L Panasci (1986) Characterization of L-threonine and L-glutamine transport in murine P388 leukemia cells in vitro. Presence of an N-like amino acid transport system https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3083865
- Growdon et al (1991) L-threonine in the treatment of spasticity https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1742749
- Davis et al (1994) Dietary threonine imbalance alters threonine dehydrogenase activity in isolated hepatic mitochondria of chicks and rats https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8089734
- Shimizu et al (1995) Culture conditions for improvement of L-threonine production using a genetically self-cloned L-threonine hyperproducing strain of Escherichia coli K-12 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7612996
- Okamoto et al (1997) Hyperproduction of L-threonine by an Escherichia coli mutant with impaired L-threonine uptake https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9404067
- Simic et al (2001) l-Threonine Export: Use of Peptides To Identify a New Translocator from Corynebacterium glutamicum https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC95414/
- E Alasdair (2002) The human L-threonine 3-dehydrogenase gene is an expressed pseudogene https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC131051/
- R Machielsen, J van der Oost (2006) Production and characterization of a thermostable L-threonine dehydrogenase from the hyperthermophilic archaeon Pyrococcus furiosus https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16817900
- Bowyer et al (2009) Structure and function of the l-threonine dehydrogenase (TkTDH) from the hyperthermophilic archaeon Thermococcus kodakaraensis https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19616102
- Yang et al (2011) Draft Genome Sequence of Escherichia coli XH001, a Producer of l-Threonine in Industry https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3209229/
- Lee et al (2013) Improved Production of l-Threonine in Escherichia coli by Use of a DNA Scaffold System https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3568567/
- Shibata et al (2013) The effects of glycine, L-threonine, and L-cystine supplementation to a 9% casein diet on the conversions of L-tryptophan to nicotinamide and to serotonin in rats https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24477250
Tenoten ® is a homeopathic medicine that is said to have anxiolytic and nootropic effects; the manufacturer claims that it was shown to have a neuroprotective action in the experimental models of intoxication, hypoxy, and transient ischaemic attacks.
The mechanisms of these effects might be attributed to the antibodies against S-100 protein: at ultra-low doses, they exert GABA-mimetic and neurotrophic actions, up-regulate stress-limiting systems and contribute to the restoration of neuroplasticity.
However, the amount of the active ingredient in the drug appears to be too small to have all these effects.
Availability: in stock
Persen [Pepermint, Lemon balm, Rhizome extracts + Valeriana Roots]
Persen is a sedative and antispasmodic herbal drug.
It is used to treat neurosis accompanied by stress, impaired attention, anxiety and insomnia that are usually treated with potent therapy.
It can also be used as a replacement therapy after the withdrawal of strong sedatives. Persen can be prescribed for the prevention of psychosomatic disorders caused by stress. It has also proved to be effective in dysautonomia treatment.
Valerian root and rhizome extract has a calming effect.
Lemon balm leaf extract has a soothing and antispasmodic effect.
Peppermint leaf extract has antispasmodic and moderate sedative effects.
Peony Evading Tincture [Tinctura Paeoniae Anomalae]
Peony evading tincture is a herbal sedative medicine. Peony evading (Maryin root) is a perennial herbaceous plant. Its roots contain essential oils, digestible carbohydrates, vitamin C, benzoic acid, sitosterol, terpenoids, tannins, potassium, calcium and manganese. Its aerial part contains glycosides, bioflavonoids and tannins and its seeds are rich with fatty oils. The plant was widely used in Chinese, Mongolian and other traditional medicines to treat gastrointestinal diseases, malaria, fever, and as a sedative drug and even as an antidote for poisonings. It belongs to the group of natural adaptogens, the means that stimulate the immune system.
The tincture is used as a sedative and a natural hypnotic in patients with sleep disorders, excitability of the nervous system and dysautonomia. It stimulates endorphin production and helps to cope with stress and emotional overload. It can also be used as part of complex therapy of chronic alcoholism and hormonal imbalance during menopause and in order to relieve cramps, involuntary spasms and contractions in patients with epilepsy. Moreover, the tincture has been proven to have antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Koo et al (2010) Platelet anti-aggregatory and blood anti-coagulant effects of compounds isolated from Paeonia lactiflora and Paeonia suffruticosa https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20824965
- H Dong-Yi, D Sheng-Ming (2011) Anti-Inflammatory and Immunomodulatory Effects of Paeonia Lactiflora Pall., a Traditional Chinese Herbal Medicine https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3108611/
- Zhu et al (2018) Impact of different post-harvest processing methods on the chemical compositions of peony root https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6611895/
Lotosonic [herbal mix]
Lotosonic is a combination herbal drug based on an extract from a mixture of medicinal plants. It has sedative, soporific, anxiolytic and anti-stress properties.
Jujube, lotus, longan, thuja and coral tree extracts have sedative effect and reduce irritation and tension that occur as a result of mental fatigue and neurasthenia. In patients with insomnia they help restore normal sleep. Jujube seeds and leaves have been used in Chinese and Korean traditional medicine, where they were believed to alleviate stress, and traditionally for anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-ulcer, anti-inflammatory purposes and sedation, antispastic, antifertility/contraception, hypotensive and antinephritic, cardiotonic, antioxidant, immunostimulant, and wound healing properties.
Apart from having sedative effect, dioscorea, mulberry and longan extracts also cause vasodilation and boost metabolism.
increased excitability, irritability, mood lability, emotional and physical injuries, tension, mental fatigue and mild forms of insomnia.
Active ingredients: Indian lotus seed powder 73 mg, dioscorea root powder 73 mg, Chinese thuja seed extract 36.5 mg, jujube seed powder 36.5 mg, longan fruit extract 36.5 mg, mulberry leaf extract 36.5 mg and erythrina variegata leaf extract 36.5 mg
Inactive ingredients: lactose, magnesium stearate, fumed silica, microcrystalline cellulose, hypromellose and sodium carboxymethyl starch
Dosage for adults is 1 tablet 2 times a day. Dosage for insomnia treatment is 1 tablet 1 hour before sleep. The length of treatment course is 30 days. If necessary, treatment courses can be repeated upon a doctor’s prescription. A whole one-month course takes 3 boxes of 20 pills.
Pregnancy and lactation, children under 18 years of age, hypersensitivity to the components of the drug.
Symptoms of overdose include drowsiness, lethargy and nausea.
In case of overdose perform a gastric lavage.
Lotosonic enhances the effect of CNS depressants, hypnotic, hypotensive and analgesic drugs, thus requiring the dosage adjustment.
Store in a dark place at a temperature of 15-25°C. Keep out of the reach of children. Shelf life is 3 years.