Deltaran® is a representative of the class of neuroprotectors. It has a powerful antioxidant, stress protective and antidepressant effect. It protects neurons from the destruction by toxic, infectious and other damaging agents, and also prevents the death of nerve cells because of stress.
Deltaran® is based on synthetic nonapeptide – an analogue of one of the most important natural endogenous peptides – discovered in 1977 by Swiss scientists Monnier M and Schoenenberg GA – the regulatory delta-sleep peptide (DSIP: delta-sleep inducing peptide) with a stabilizing effect on the cell homeostasis. DSIP in free and bound form is present in peripheral organs, tissues and body fluids, hypophysis, hypothalamus and in limbic system of the brain. One of the most impressive features of its wide multifunctional action is its pronounced stress-protective and adaptogenic activity.
The peptide-based Deltaran® drug was originally developed as an anti-alcohol medication. The development was carried out in the Shemyakin-Ovchinnikov Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry together with the Pharmacology Institute of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences in the 1980s. After conducting experimental and clinical studies, the drug Deltaran® was registered by the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation in July 1998.
The main mechanism of action of the drug is the compensation for the deficiency of DSIP, which protects neurons from the destruction, resulting from psycho-emotional or systemic stress, toxic effects or aging. Protecting the central nervous system from damaging effects, Deltaran® is able to radically change the course of a large number of diseases in a favourable direction, to increase the effectiveness of standard medicines and to prevent the development of complications. In clinical trials and testing, Deltaran® has shown a number of positive effects:
- Pronounced stress-protective and adaptogenic effect;
- Increased body resistance to adverse stress factors and pathological conditions of different etiologies;
- Antidepressant and anticonvulsant effects;
- Normalization of sleep;
- Antitoxic properties;
- Improving mental and physical performance;
- Limitation of vegetative and cardiovascular disorders in case of stress;
- Reduction of the primary pathological craving for alcohol and drugs, and manifestations of alcohol withdrawal;
- Complex therapy for neuroborreliosis, multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy. [Biomedical Journal Medline.ru (2001)]