Omaron is a combination drug which stimulates blood flow and neuronal metabolic processes in the brain and has antihypoxic, nootropic and vasodilating effects.
Its active ingredients are piracetam and cinnarizine. Piracetam stimulates metabolic processes in the brain by enhancing energy and protein metabolism, accelerating glucose processing in cells and increasing their resistance to hypoxia. It also improves synaptic transmission in the CNS and stimulates regional blood flow in the ischemic zone.
Cinnarizine is a beta blocker of slow calcium channels which prevents the entry of calcium ions into cells and reduces their content in the plasma membrane. It also reduces the tone of arteriole smooth muscles and their response to biogenic vasoconstrictors such as epinephrine, norepinephrine, dopamine, angiotensin and vasopressin. It has vasodilating effect (especially on blood vessels in the brain) as it enhances antihypoxic effect of piracetam without significantly affecting arterial pressure. Moreover, cinnarizine reduces the excitability of the vestibular apparatus and lowers the tone of the sympathetic nervous system showing antihistamine properties. It also increases the elasticity of erythrocyte membranes and improves blood viscosity.
- insufficient blood flow to the brain (including cerebral atherosclerosis and recovery from ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes and traumatic brain injuries);
- various types of encephalopathy;
- CNS diseases followed by reduced intellectual-mnestic functions such as memory, attention and mood disorders;
- psychoorganic syndrome with asthenia and adynamia;
- Ménière’s disease;
- cognitive developmental delay in children;
- prevention of migraine and kinetosis.