Formulation and Packaging
- Solution for oral administration in bottles of 25, 50 and 100 ml. Active ingredient: Levocarnitine 300 mg/ml. Inactive ingredients: citric acid monohydrate 1.2 mg, methyl parahydroxybenzoate 0.5 mg, propyl parahydroxybenzoate 0.2 mg and purified water up to 1 ml.
- Solution for intramuscular and intravenous injections in ampoules of 5 ml. Active ingredient: Levocarnitine 100 mg/ml. Inactive ingredient: water for injections up to 1 ml.
Application and Dosage
1. To be administered orally 30 minutes before meal. Dilute in water.
Dosage and length of treatment course shall be prescribed by a doctor. Recommended dosage in adults in order to improve performance is ca. 750 mg 3 times a day.
In treating diseases related to carnitine deficiency the dosage is calculated according to body weight (50-100 mg/kg 2-3 times a day). Recommended length of treatment course is 3-4 months.
2. To be administered via intramuscular injections or intravenous drips. For intravenous administration dilute an ampoule in 100-200 ml of 0.9% sodium chloride solution or 5% dextrose solution. Dosage and length of treatment course shall be prescribed by a doctor.
Individual intolerance, pregnancy or lactation.
Allergic response, muscle weakness (in patients with uremia), gastralgia or dyspepsia.
Glucocorticoids increase the accumulation of the drug in tissues (except forliver) while other anabolics enhance its effect.
Storage Conditions and Shelf Life
Store in a dark place at a temperature not higher than 25°C.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Shelf life is 3 years. After opening the bottle, store the drug in the refrigerator for no more than 2 months.
Elcar is a drug intended to stabilize the body’s metabolic processes and improve tissue energy supply.
Its active ingredient, levocarnitine, is equal to natural L-carnitine, a quaternary ammonium compound involved in metabolism in most mammals, plants and some bacteria. It is used in transporting fatty acids across the mitochondrial membrane to the cytoplasm of target cells such as the heart, skeletal muscle, and other tissue cells, where they are used for fuel. Some research has been successfully carried out on carnitine supplementation in athletes, patients with various cardiometabolic conditions, male infertility, cardiac ischemia, atherosclerosis, etc.
L-carnitine also increases the nervous tissue resistance to damaging factors (including hypoxia, trauma, intoxication), inhibits anaerobic glycolysis and the formation of keto acids and helps fight lactic acidosis.
Elcar restores alkaline reserve and cerebral autoregulation, regulates the blood supply in the affected area and accelerates reparative processes. It improves protein and fat metabolism, increases the secretion and activity of digestive enzymes, improves the absorption of food and reduces excess body weight and muscle fat content. The drug increases body resistance and helps save muscle glycogen during physical exercise.
Elcar has an anabolic and lipolytic effect.
As part of complex therapy in case of:
- intense physical exertion and psycho-emotional stress (in order to improve performance);
- rehabilitation after illness, injury or operation, including tissue regeneration;
- chronic gastritis with decreased gastric secretory functions or chronic pancreatitis with pancreatic exocrine insufficiency;
- skin diseases (psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, focal scleroderma or discoid lupus erythematosus);
- mild forms of hyperthyroidism;
- brain lesions of vascular, toxic and traumatic origin;
- anorexia nervosa;
- diseases related to carnitine deficiency (including myopathies, cardiomyopathies, mitochondrial diseases and hereditary diseases related to mitochondrial dysfunction).
Treatment of infants with:
- birth injury or asphyxiation;
- sucking problems, poor weight gain, low muscle tone and problems with motor and mental development;
- stunting and underweight (in children and adolescents under 16 years of age).
In sports medicine and during intense exercise in order to:
- enhance speed, power and coordination;
- increase muscle mass and reduce body fat mass;
- prevent overtraining syndrome and stimulate recovery after intense exercise;
- stimulate muscle regeneration after injuries.