Dosage and administration
The dug is taken orally, 125 - 250 mg 3 times a day, Maximum daily dose – 800 mg. Period of therapy is 2-6 weeks. Period of therapy for alcohol abstinence treatment is 5-7 days. Period of therapy for ischemic heart disease is 1,5 – 2 months or more.
Hypersensitivity to Mexidol, acute severe diseases of kidneys, hepatic liver failure.
No overdose effect.
The drug potentiates the effect of energizers, anxiolytics, anticonvulsive drugs. It diminishes toxic effect of ethanol.
Country of Manufacture: Russia
US Domestic shipping is available for this product! Choose Ships from: US size option to get it in 3-7 days to any US address. Dont forget to choose US Domestic Shipping when checking out.
The development of Mexidol® is closely related to Soviet chemist Semenov N.N, who was awarded with the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his piece of research on free radicals in 1956. His research was the basis for understanding of the oxidative stress and means to combat it. It also contributed to the development of drugs with antioxidant and anti-ischemic effects, one of which was Emoxypine, which is currently known as Mexidol®.
The drug has a positive effect on cellular energy production, as it diminishes the effect of free radicals and restores the activity of antioxidant enzymes. Mexidol ® also improves the intracellular protein synthesis, helps the enzyme processes in the citric acid cycle, and facilitates glycose utilization, as well as synthesis and intracellular storage of the ATP. This can prevent pathomorphological changes in the brain caused by ischemia and hypoxia.
Mexidol ® has the following effects: anti-ischemic, anti-hypoxic, neuroprotective, and anxiolytic. Many people report strong anxiolytic effects developed during the course of treatment with Mexidol ®.
Mexidol has been proven to be efficient when used for:
- Acute Disorders of Cerebral Circulation
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Vegetative-Vascular Dystonia
- Intoxication with Alcohol or Neuroleptic Drugs
- Anxious disorders
- Coronary Heart Disease
- Asthenic Disorders of Different Types, e.g. Somatic Symptoms Disorders and Consequences of infections
Like Semax ® and Cerebrolysin ®, Mexidol ® is on the Russia’s List of Vital & Essential Drugs. It is also included in the first-aid kit in Russia, and has been in clinical practice since 1996.
In 2014 Mexidol ® received the Russian Pharma Award in the following categories: “Treatment if Ischemic Disorders” and “Treatment of Encephalopathy in Children”.
Country of Manufacture: Russia
This product has not been approved by the US FDA. All statements on this page are for informational purposes only and have not been evaluated by the US FDA.
This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Ivanov et al (2002) Effectiveness of mexidol in acute pancreatitis https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12416225
- Garazha et al (2006) Efficacy of the use of antioxidant preparation mexidol in comprehensive treatment of inflammatory diseases of parodontium https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17310943
- Voronina et al (2007) Mexidol effects in extreme conditions (experiments with animals) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18672520
- Volchegorskii et al (2008) Effect of alpha-lipoic acid and mexidol on neuro- and the affective status in patients at early stages of diabetic foot syndrome https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19069461
- L Abramenko et al (2011) The assessment of the clinical efficacy, vasoactive and metabolic effects of mexidol in elderly patients with discirculatory encephalopathy https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22611676
- Volchegorkii et al (2011) Comparative study of alpha-lipoic acid and mexidol effects on affective status, cognitive functions and quality of life in diabetes mellitus patients https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22288155
- Tsublova et al (2012) Studies on actoprotective and antihypoxic properties of new succinate-containing benzothiazole derivatives https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23074949
- Motin et al (2012) Electrophysiological study of the mechanism of mexidol action https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22442954
- Shchul’kin et al (2014) A comparative study of mexidol and mexiprim pharmacokinetic parameters https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25591654
- Androfagina et al (2015) Mexidol in the rehabilitation of patients in the acute ischemic stroke https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26978645
- V Sergin, T Dronova (2015) The use of mexidol in the intensive treatment of acute severe ischemic stroke https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26121002
- Chukanova et al (2015) The results of the study of the efficacy and safety of mexidol in patients with chronic cerebral ischemia https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26081329
- Berezhnaya et al (2016) The efficacy of combination therapy with mexidol and cerebrolysin in chronic cerebral ischemia https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27240176
- Povarnina et al (2017) Comparison of the Pharmacological Effects of Dimeric Dipeptide Nerve Growth Factor Mimetic GK-2 and Mexidol on the Model of Ischemic Stroke in Rats https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29181667
- Stakhovskaya et al (2017) Results of a randomized double blind multicenter placebo-controlled, in parallel groups trial of the efficacy and safety of prolonged sequential therapy with mexidol in the acute and early recovery stages of hemispheric ischemic stroke (EPICA) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28665371
- Volchegorskii et al (2017) Anxiolytic and antidepressant effects of emoxipine, reamberin and mexidol in experimental diabetes mellitus https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28638031
- Gromova et al (2017) A study of the neuroprotective effect of mexidol on the cell model of glutamate stress https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29376987
- N Kulai, E Kovalchuk (2018) Assessment of the efficacy of mexidol in the combination with hyperbaric oxygen in acute ischemic stroke https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29798984
- Zamoshchina et al (2018) Effect of mexidol on physical working capacity and level of lactate in the blood of rats in conditions of light deprivation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30585610
- Gromova et al (2018) Experience with mexidol in neurological practice https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30499505
- Yakusheva et al (2018) An effect of mexidol on the expression of the transcription factor Nrf2 in the rat cerebral cortex in ischemia https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29927406
- Godunova et al (2018) An influence of submaximal (submineximal) doses of mexidol on oxidant stress and inflammation in the acute period of ischemic stroke https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29560937
- E Dyakonova, V Makerova (2018) Mono- and combination therapy with the mexidol in young patients with cerebral angiodystonia https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30251978
- E Polozova (2018) Preventive therapy with mexidol in toxic damage to the heart https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29697688