Despite the fact that Potassium Orotate® is generally safe for the human body, in some cases its use is strictly prohibited:
- Hepatic failure and pathologies (both chronic and acute);
- Hypersensitivity to orotic acid and any of its derivatives;
- Cirrhosis of the liver.
During pregnancy and lactation, as well as in case of renal failure, doctors recommend using the medicine with extra caution, strictly adhering to the dosage. In some cases, the drug is prescribed for pregnant women, in particular, in case of severe swelling.
The drug is usually well tolerated. Though very rarely, side effect are manifested:
- Allergic reactions (might occur when the drug is discontinued or after taking any antihistamine);
- Dyspeptic disorder (the development of gout) is a clinically unproven phenomenon, but people with a tendency to such a pathology better refrain from taking Potassium Orotate®;
- Mild gastrointestinal disturbance (often manifested in the form of nausea and vomiting);
- Hepatic dystrophy (only if taken in large doses and accompanied by a diet with a small amount of animal protein).
There is no officially confirmed information about cases of overdose, but, according to athletes, skin manifestations in the form of itching, rash, as well as hyperkalemia are possible.
As for the positive interaction Potassium Orotate® goes well in combination with magnesium (cardiologists recommend taking such a combined course for cardiac pathologies). It reduces the body's intoxication of cardiac glycosides, increases the effectiveness of calcium and magnesium agents, and accelerates ion tolerance. If desired, Potassium Orotate® is perfectly supplemented by multivitamin complexes that will help increase energy potential and keep the body in good shape.
Potassium Orotate® can NOT be used as a medication for the potassium substitution treatment. Before using Potassium Orotate® for sports purposes, in particular for bodybuilding, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
Potassium Orotate® is a non-hormonal, anabolic agent, which is a potassium salt of carboxylic acid. It has a general stimulating effect on metabolic processes. It is a stimulant for the synthesis of nucleic acids involved in protein synthesis; it enhances reparative and regenerative processes in body tissues.
- Orotic acid is the “ancestor” of the substance in acids, synthesizing protein molecules. It was discovered in 1904 by the scientists Biscaro and Belloni. And in 1953, the scientists Manna and Hauge proved that vitamin B13 and orotic acid are identical. Orotic acid enhances the formation of albumin in the liver, especially in case of prolonged hypoxia that occurs in some diseases, such as heart failure. It improves the tolerance to cardiac glycosides and increases diuresis.
- Potassium is another active substance of the drug which activates the benefits of orotic acid. Potassium is present in the body of every person and is considered one of the most important minerals. It regulates water balance, stimulates muscle contraction and membrane potential. This substance is contained in the cells (80%) and in the intercellular space (20%), being constantly washed out of the cell cytoplasm. To maintain the required concentration, potassium needs to be injected back into the cells, which is carried out using sodium. Hypokalemia (potassium deficiency) develops in case of the potassium-sodium interaction failure because of the insufficient intake of the microelement in the body or its poor absorption. In this regard, it is necessary to compensate for the deficiency of the vital mineral by using various drugs, such as Potassium Orotate®.
Given the medical properties of the drug, it can be called a low-risk medication with a wide range of indications for use:
- Heart failure;
- Muscle dystrophy;
- Therapy of hepatic pathologies;
- Stimulation of anabolic process.
Sometimes bodybuilders also use Potassium Orotate® for their purposes: muscle growth, cutting training, prevention of pathologies of the heart and blood vessels against intensive steroid courses.
- Magne B6;
- Potassium Chloride.