Retinoprotectors are agents that protect the retina from damage caused by exogenous and endogenous factors thus safeguarding eyesight from getting worse. The search for new retinoprotectors is a complex process that requires a combined effort of doctors, biologists, and pharmacologists. Peptide group of drugs deserves special attention. Their advantage lies in their tissue specificity, minor side effects, short duration of treatment, and long-term clinical effect.
Retinalamin is an example of a successful medical product that is based on the principles mentioned above. It is a drug with proven cellular and molecular effectiveness.
Retinal damages vary in causes and clinical picture. They are united by the concurrent death of retinal neurons because of pathological processes with similar molecular mechanisms. The main one is excitotoxicity which is caused by excessive activation of glutamate receptors and subsequent entry of calcium ions into a cell. Excess of calcium launches processes resulting in necrotic and apoptotic cell death. Retinalamin is a retinoprotector that produces a direct effect on the retina. It launches mechanisms of adaptation to pathological processes and regeneration of retinal neurons improving visual functions in case of glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, and other eye disorders.
The first studies on the use of the group of drugs, which includes Retinalamin in ophthalmology were conducted in the early 1980s at the Department of Ophthalmology of the Military Medical Academy, thus they have been in use for more than 30 years. Modern experimental studies of Retinalamin are aimed at searching for alternative ways of administration that can facilitate the targeted drug delivery and create its depot at the optic nerve head.
The mechanism of action is determined by the metabolic activity of Retinalamin:
- The drug is known to activate eye tissue metabolism;
- Normalize the functions of cellular membranes;
- Improve intracellular synthesis of protein;
- Regulate the processes of lipid peroxide oxidation;
- Inhibit inflammatory processes;
- Normalize vascular permeability;
- Promote faster healing of injured tissues.
Buy Retinalamin as the treatment for the following diseases:
- Compensated primary open-angle glaucoma;
- Diabetic retinopathy;
- Post-traumatic and post-inflammatory central retinal dystrophy;
- Myopia (within comprehensive treatment);
- Dystrophic diseases of the retina.