Semax Nasal Drops Review and Answering FAQs: history, mechanisms of action, safety profile and where to buy
In this article about Semax nasal drops, we’ve done our best to correctly answer the most topical questions that are frequently being raised by first-time users on r/nootropics, r/peptides, and in some other forums. We’ve gone through a lot of info, translated a bunch of Russian sources, and covered many topics from the standpoint of on-label administration. You can read the whole article or jump straight to any part that is the most interesting to you.
- What is Semax?
- How was Semax invented: scientists and research institutes behind its development?
- Semax Mechanisms of action: pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
- Safety profile of Semax and possible side effects
- Semax and Hair Loss
- International recognition of Semax: several Semax awards
- Semax 1% and Semax 0.1%: what is the difference and which one to choose?
- On-label use vs off-label use: how Semax® is used in Russia and how it is used in the USA
- Can Semax be stored at the room temperature and if so, for how long?
- How to take Semax?
- Where is Semax manufactured and how to ensure its quality?
- Why should I use Semax nasal drops instead of Semax nasal spray?
- What are the anecdotal references of using Russian Semax on Reddit r/nootropics?
- Other forms of Semax and their differences: N Acetyl Semax, N Acetyl Semax Amidate and Adamax
- Why is Semax not approved in the USA by the FDA?
- Is Semax legal in the US, UK, Australia?
- Semax and Selank: what are the differences?
- The official drug sheets of Semax 1% and Semax 0.1%
- Where can I buy Semax?
What is Semax?
SEMAX (sometimes mistakenly called “c max”) is a Russian nootropic drug that is used in the form of nasal spray and nasal drops to improve cognitive functions and to treat various medical conditions. The drug belongs to the class of regulatory peptides and is said to have a nootropic, psychostimulatory, neuroprotective, antioxidant and antihypoxic effect. It is known to help increase mental and physical performance.
By its structure, Semax is a fragment of endogenous neuropeptide adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH). The drug was shown to increase BDNF (brain-derived neurotrophic factor) that is responsible for the growth and differentiation of new neurons and synapses.
It is used for disorders of the brain, including ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder), astheno-neurotic disorders, traumatic brain injuries, and other diseases. Moreover, Semax has a huge number of different effects ranging from anesthesia with subcutaneous injections (this is not used in Russia) and ending with a marked increase in the effect of stimulants.
There are two dosages of the Russian Semax nootropic available for purchase:
- Semax®0.1% (Market Authorisation Number LS-002553) is intended for the normalization and restoration of the brain in both healthy people and in a number of neurological diseases;
- Semax®1% (Market Authorisation Number P N000812/01) is an increased dosage of the drug created for the treatment of stroke since the onset of the disease at the ambulance stage and in the hospital, as well as in the early recovery period.
How Semax was invented: scientists and research institutes behind its development?
The positive effects of neuropeptides were discovered in the late 1960s when David de Weid – who coined the term ‘neuropeptide’ – conducted a number of trials on white rats and found that fragments of adrenocorticotropic hormones facilitate learning abilities.
However it was not until the late 1970s, when the Soviet Ministry of Defense commissioned a wide range of experiments to determine the optimal way to prolong the effects of peptides and increase their scope. After a long and complicated trial-and-error process, the optimal peptide formula was synthesized, and it had 50 times longer effects than its natural analogue. After animal trials have shown efficacy and security, extensive research on humans was started to ensure safety, increase efficiency, and determine the optimal dosages and delivery methods.
The study was led by Nikolay Miasoedov and Igor Ashmarin. So who are these guys?
Dr. Nikolay Miasoedov is an Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Institute of Molecular Genetics).
- Soviet and Russian scientist, a specialist in the field of biochemistry and biotechnology,
- Doctor of Chemical Sciences, Professor, Honored Inventor of the Russian Federation,
- Author of over 360 scientific papers and 2 monographs,
- Author of more than 150 copyright certificates and patents for inventions of the USSR and the Russian Federation and 4 international patents (USA, England, France, and Sweden).
Dr. Igor Ashmarin is an outstanding Soviet and Russian scientist.
- Specialist in the field of biochemistry and physiology,
- Academician of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences,
- Doctor of Biological Sciences,
- Major General of the Medical Service,
- Emeritus Professor of Moscow State University,
- Full Member of the International Academy of Higher Education.
These two honorable Russian scientists led the development and research of the world’s first synthesized Semax peptide. It was officially brought to the market on 20th December 1994. For the development, organization of production, and introduction of the drug into clinical practice, Dr. Ashmarin (together with the team) was awarded the Prize of the Government of the Russian Federation. Since then Semax nootropic won a number of international awards. And since 2011 it is annually included in the List of Vital & Essential Drugs , because studies have shown its effectiveness in treating patients after strokes .
Prize of the Government of the Russian Federation for the development of Semax drug, Moscow 2002
Semax mechanisms of action: pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
Pharmacodynamics: biochemical and physiological effects of Semax
Semax is a neuropeptide completely similar to natural ones. Therefore it has a natural effect on the body as its own. Semax activates the processes of maintaining and restoring the normal functioning of the central nervous system and has the following actions:
- Decrease in the level of glutamate excitotoxicity, due to which the development of the pathological process stops;
- High antioxidant activity;
- Reduction of the intensity of inflammation and local edema due to the normalization of the cytokine balance;
- Suppression of the apoptosis process.
- Influence on the glucose metabolism in the body – Semax accelerates the transfer of glucose across the BBB and increases the degree of its absorption by brain cells;
- Maintain a high level of ATP synthesis in cells even in oxygen deficiency;
- Semax promotes the normalization of energy metabolism and protein synthesis in nerve cells, which prevents the dysfunction of the autonomic centers of the brain and, as a consequence, normalizes the functioning of peripheral tissues.
- Strengthening the level of synthesis of neurotrophins – regulators of growth and differentiation of nervous tissue: nerve growth factor, neurotrophic factor of the brain;
- Restoration of connections between neurons.
The main pharmacological effects of Semax
Semax is a stress-protector
One of the most important additional properties of Semax is its stress-protective activity. The drug helps the body to cope with stress of any nature. Semax suppresses the development of distress damage to target tissues – nervous, cardiovascular, and immune, preventing the development of adverse morphological and biochemical changes in them.
Adaptogenic action of Semax in unfavorable conditions
Clinical studies have shown that Semax maintains the physical and mental performance of a person in uncomfortable external conditions, for example, when the ambient temperature drops or in a rarefied atmosphere high in the mountains. This effect is stipulated by the equalization of the fluctuations in the work of the mediator systems of the brain and the suppression of lipid peroxidation (LPO).
When using Semax in both unhealthy and healthy people, the work of nerve centers and nerve pathways is optimized, energy metabolism in nerve cells improves, and cognitive functions are enhanced. At the same time, Semax does not have any negative effect on the cardiovascular system.
Anti-asthenic effect of Semax®
Semax has a powerful anti-asthenic effect, and asthenia is the main component of the chronic fatigue syndrome. It is manifested by rapid fatigue, difficulty in formulating thoughts, emotional lability, sleep disturbance, difficulty waking up in the morning, etc. The action of Semax improves mental and physical performance, which is always reduced in chronic fatigue syndrome.
Pharmacokinetics: way through the body
- Semax enters directly to the brain cells from the cerebral mucosa using perineural transport along the sensory (olfactory) nerves, bypassing the blood-brain barrier (BBB);
- High speed of action – Semax is found in brain cells no later than 5 minutes after an administration, the maximum concentration is reached after 30 minutes;
- Long-term action – the active concentration of Semax in the brain remains stable high for 20-24 hours;
- No side effects from interactions with other drugs;
- Convenient and painless introduction.
Under the action of aminopeptidase enzymes, the Semax peptide breaks down into its constituent parts – in particular, the Met-Glu-His-Phe tetrapeptide and the Pro-Gly-Pro tripeptide. The molecules formed as a result of Semax transformation have their own therapeutic effect, being a catalyst for the natural processes in the body. Subsequently, peptides are broken down into separate amino acids, which are included in metabolic processes as absolutely natural for the body.
Safety profile of Semax and possible side effects
Semax has a long history of practical use, since the 1990s. The drug has undergone preclinical and clinical trials; its efficacy and safety have been confirmed by a large number of scientific publications. Semax is stated to be one of the safest medications in Russia and worldwide. Over more than 17 years of its case history no major side effects or symptoms of overdose have been recorded except from rare cases of mild irritation of the nasal mucosa.
Semax studies have shown that:
- The drug does NOT cause withdrawal syndrome;
- It does not negatively affect the nervous, cardiovascular and respiratory systems;
- The drug doesn’t have an impact on the emotional state in healthy people; neither does Semax cause an increased feeling of depression or anxiety.
Is Semax compatible with other drugs?
Semax nootropic does not interact with most medications, given its chemical structure (heptapeptide is a synthetic analogue of adrenocorticotropic hormone, completely devoid of hormonal activity), the rate of absorption and the rate of entry into the blood, as well as the intranasal route of administration.
Is it safe to give Semax to children?
Semax is known to be safe for use in children. In Russia the drug is included in the list of specialized medical aid for retinopathy of prematurity. During clinical trials Semax was given to children as young as several months old to treat perinatal brain injuries and it demonstrated safety and efficacy .
Semax 0.1% has a good practical history of treating ADHD. Due to its properties it helps to inhibit manifestations of ADHD, encouraging better child’s adjustment at school. Semax is known to increase diligence, it has a positive impact on the retention of new information and it decreases emotional instability of a child.
However according to the current official instructions it is contraindicated to give the drug to children younger than 7 y.o. Still it is known that more than half of all drugs that are used in pediatrics are actually contraindicated for children. Their use is prescribed by the attending pediatric health care provider. Until there are no changes in the official instructions the use of the medication in children must be carried out under professional advice and supervision only.
Can I use Semax along with drinking alcohol?
Semax does not interact with alcohol, so the concurrent use of the two is acceptable. When taking Semax, alcohol intoxication occurs later and with higher doses of alcohol, and Semax also reduces the morning symptoms of alcohol intoxication.
Semax and Hair Loss
Can the administration of Semax lead to hair loss?
Several community members report on Reddit that they had hair-loss and hair thinning problems, and they link these issues to the administration of Semax. There is no officially proven data or research in the Russian language supporting that such a correlation is likely to exist. Neither such cases are reported on the Russian-speaking forums in discussions devoted to Semax.
Still hair-loss can be caused by an increase of BDNF (brain-derived neurotrophic factor) in people, who are prone to baldness. There are many a number of studies linking an impact of BDNF levels on hair cycle control. For instance, according to this study, Neurotrophic factors, especially BDNF, may be important in mediating the effects of androgens on hair follicles, serving as a negative regulatory control signal.
We can speculate that the reason for the existence of such reports on Reddit and no information in Russian is that on Reddit community and in Russia Semax is used differently. On Reddit members often administer Semax at higher doses for a longer period of time, use stronger versions, use subcutaneous route of administration. It also very likely that they also use other nootropics which can lead to a substantially higher level of BDNF over a longer period than just when using Semax on-label. Here is an anecdotal report describing hair loss at different Semax dosages.
International recognition of Semax: several Semax awards
Semax was awarded three gold medals at ‘Eurekа’ International Exhibition of Innovation, Research and New Technology (Brussels, 1999, 2001, 2003).
Eureka is a platform for R&D funding and coordination which is widely attended by representatives of many countries. It has deserved the right to be considered as one of the world’s leading events in the field of exhibiting modern inventions and innovations as well as their commercialization.
Gold medal was given to Semax at the International Salon of Inventions (Geneva, 2004).
The International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva was first held in 1972. Since then it has become the world’s most important event exclusively dedicated to inventions, always on the lookout for new products. It operates under the patronage of the City of Geneva, and the World Intellectual Property Organization. Every year, more than 800 exhibitors from 40 countries exhibit their inventions there.
Diploma at the ‘Concours Lepine’ International Salon of Inventions was granted to Semax in Paris, 2002.
This association was created in 1901 by Louis Lepine. It was initially aimed to assure the rights of small manufacturers. The following years confirmed the success of the Salon. It is now held annually during the Paris Fair and groups together inventors from around Europe and the world.
Semax 1% and Semax 0.1%: what is the difference and which one to choose?
As you can conclude from the name, Semax 10mg (or Semax 1%) is a stronger one: the concentration of the active substance is 10 times higher than in Semax 0.1%.
Primary uses of Semax 10mg:
- Faster recovery after strokes;
- Alleviation of migraines;
- Transient ischemic attacks.
So, the preparation is used in strokes, concussions, and other similar cases and cerebral circulation disorders. If it is instilled in the first minutes after a stroke, the lesion is said to become much less severe. Therefore, Semax 10mg is often stored in ambulances.
This solution is commonly used by healthy people. It is a medicine made for improving memory performance, and has a complex nootropic, neurometabolic, and neurotrophic effect.
Primary uses of Semax 1mg:
- Increasing attention during repetitive and monotonous tasks;
- Increasing intellectual capacity in extreme circumstances;
- Alleviating the effects of cerebrovascular diseases.
The action of the drug is sufficient for relatively healthy people. If you want to receive greater Semax benefits and effects, then instead of buying a more concentrated and expensive version, you just need to re-instill a second dose 10-15 minutes after the first dose. It’s important that the drops must be instilled on the nose mucosa surface, not in the nasopharynx.
On-label use vs off-label use: how Semax is used in Russia and how it is used in the USA
You can find information about Semax injections which some people find effective for increasing their mental performance to the utmost. Another effect of IM mode of administration is pain alleviation . However if you are looking for a proven medication with the history of use and a good safety-and-effectiveness ratio you might start your journey in the world of nootropics with the original Semax nasal drops. From the perspective of treating brain disorders and improving mental performance it is better to use it according to the official instructions.
Can Semax be stored at the room temperature and if so, for how long?
How long can I keep an open bottle of Semax without it losing its effectiveness?
An open bottle of Semax can be stored as long as six months without losing its properties. Just follow the storage instructions:
- Close the bottle;
- Put it in the refrigerator and store at temperatures below 10°C (50°F).
How long can I keep Semax at the room temperature without damage to its effectiveness?
There is a safe preservative in the composition of Semax. That is why you can keep it at room temperatures below 30°C (86°F) for a period of up to 30 days. For longer periods of time, Semax should be stored in the refrigerator. The shelf life of a new product is 2 years if stored properly.
Is Semax going to be degraded after a long journey from Russia to the US?
No. The product contains methylparaben (0.01%), which works as a preservative and ensures longer shelf-life. It is considered safe and is frequently used in other drugs. The product is sterile and is produced in a GMP-compliant factory, which is likely to increase storage duration. This implies that if the temperature between 10°C (50°F) to 30°C (86°F) the storage duration is anywhere between 30 days to 6 months, depending on the temperature.
How to take Semax?
One bottle of Semax contains 3ml. The average Semax peptide dosage is 2-3 drops in each nostril. Semax can be taken up to 3 times per day.
With the purpose of cognitive improvement, Semax nootropic should be taken 1-2 times a day – 2 drops in each nostril – for a period of 3 to 14 days. The course can be repeated after 3-6 months.
Depending on the chosen regimen, one bottle is sufficient for a course of 3 – 10 days.
Can I use Semax drops in the evening and before going to bed?
Semax is a neuropeptide and one of its effects is regulation and normalization of the sleep-wake cycle. Taken into account the stimulating effect of the drug on the work of nerve cells, it is recommended to administer Semax before 5pm.
Nevertheless it is not a mandatory requirement because drug tolerance may vary in different people. If a patient does not have problems with falling asleep when Semax is instilled late in the evening, it is safe to use it after 5pm if necessary.
Can I use Semax as a one-time coffee replacement?
Single-time administration for an increase of intellectual capacities is possible. The dosage regimen of Semax® 0.1% for that purpose is the following: 3 drops in each nasal passage 2 times in the morning with a 15-minute interval. It is advisable to take another dose during the daytime.
How to take Semax during finals/exams?
Unlike many other nootropics Semax stimulates all three core processes of memory: encoding, storage and recall. The main effect of Semax is the increase of mental performance.
It is recommended to begin taking Semax 0.1% 10 days before the finals start, 3 drops in each nasal passage 2 times a day for 10 days.
Can I use Semax every day for a longer period of time?
According to the official information there is absolutely no need to use it daily for a period of more than 2 weeks.
Semax normalises the functionality of CNS during 10-14 days. For this reason this period is the course duration. The mechanism of Semax helps to restart the broken or damaged cycle of synthesis of endogenous peptides in the CNS. Semax does not replace your own molecules instead it promotes its active synthesis in neurones. It is better to repeat the course after 3-6 months. This course duration applies also to the cases when Semax is used for strokes, traumatic brain injuries and other severe conditions. Even in cases of severe stroke the recommended duration is 10 days. For the healthy people the manufacturer also advises using Semax for 10 days, although it can be used sporadically just one day as a replacement of coffee. Nevertheless, many community members use it for longer periods of time without any evident problems.
Where is Semax manufactured and how to ensure its quality?
Peptogen is the producer of the most popular products available in our store: Semax and Selank. Why can we trust this company? Let’s see!
About the Company
Peptogen is a Russian company that specializes in the production of drugs of a new generation, whose action is aimed at the prevention and treatment of diseases associated with the brain. Peptogen was founded in 2005 with the participation of the Institute of Molecular Genetics of the Russian Academy of Sciences. The purpose of the company is the production of medicinal products developed by the Institute and the development of its own compounds and preparations.
The company develops and manufactures new-generation drugs that fully comply with the requirements of the international pharmaceutical quality standards (Good Manufacturing Practice, № GMP-0014-000019/15 from 11/03/15). The company has got a license issued by the Ministry of Industry and Trade of the Russian Federation (№00037-LS from 30/07/2014). It is also a member of the National Association of Pharmaceutical and Medical Products Manufacturers. In 2015, Peptogen was awarded the diploma of the nominee of the national prize “Priority 2015”. The Priority 2015 award evaluates all the most modern, competitive, and efficient Russian companies in the field of import substitution. Obtaining this diploma is another proof that Peptogen is a modern pharmaceutical company, and its products are of high guaranteed quality.
The company carries out wholesale deliveries of products through leading national and regional distributors throughout Russia, such as PROTEK and KATREN.
You can watch the official video from the production site of Semax:
The main production site is located on the territory of Strogino Technopark, Moscow (Russia). All the work of the Technopark is coordinated by the Department of Science, Industrial Policy and Entrepreneurship of Moscow. The structure and operation of the production department were developed with the participation of GMProject (Russia – Czech Republic) in accordance with all the requirements of the Rules for the Organization of Production and Quality Control of Drugs and based on the current Russian norms in the field of construction, fire safety and industrial sanitation.
In addition, all requirements for carrying out technological operations are taken into account. Production is carried out in special “clean rooms”, which completely exclude the influence of the external environment. All the microclimate parameters (humidity, temperature, pressure, etc.) are set in these rooms. The staff working in the “clean rooms” passes to the workplace through the personnel-airlock, which is designed for employees to change into working overalls. Materials, raw materials and sterilized glass vials for packing nasal drops are delivered through special active gateways for production. After the bottling site, the medicine bottles are transferred through the active gateway for labeling and packaging. At this stage, samples are taken for final chemical and microbiological analyses. After the analyses are completed, a certificate of quality is issued for a series of goods, and it is transferred to the warehouse.
The quality control department carries out physicochemical and microbiological control in modern laboratories equipped with the latest technology. In addition, all instruments used in laboratories, in turn, are annually tested at Rostest (the largest organization of practical metrology and certification on the territory of the Russian Federation). Thus, control over the production of medicines at all stages ensures guaranteed product quality.
The company states: “We work to save and enhance the health of people of all ages, providing the ability to use unique Russian drugs of the new generation”.
Why should I use Semax nasal drops instead of Semax nasal spray?
This is the question we often receive from our customers. In this section, we’d like to tell you why intranasal Semax is suggested by the developers.
The rapid development of medicine and pharmacology has given doctors and patients many medicines that save lives and preserve health. However, it’s not enough just to create an active substance; it’s also necessary to develop methods for its delivery to a specific spot. This aspect is especially vital in the treatment of brain diseases.
Many obstacles arise in the way of a drug molecule, including protective systems of organs, absorption of drugs by healthy cells, and so on. If the medicine is intended for the brain, then the blood-brain barrier can become such an obstacle.
The thing is that the intracerebral metabolism is very different from the metabolism in other organs, and the blood-brain barrier prevents active substances from entering the brain tissue from the blood. Therefore, the developers of the Semax peptide had to “think through” a system of rapid delivery to the affected areas of the brain. And this problem has been successfully resolved: the administration of the active substance through the nasal mucosa is the most direct and fastest way to brain cells. Semax peptide enters the brain through the olfactory nerves that directly connect the nasal mucosa to the brain, bypassing the blood-brain barrier. That’s why the drug begins to act quickly. And for that reason the developers believe that the intranasal way of administration of the drug for the treatment of brain diseases is more effective than others.
Initially Semax was used in hospitals only. And nasal drops were more convenient if a patient was bedridden. Besides in comparison to nasal sprays, nasal drops may spread over a larger area, and are often cleared faster when administered correctly . Charlton and coworkers reported that nasal drops possess higher deposition in the olfactory region compared to nasal sprays if administered to the patient in a supine position, and when formulated with mucoadhesive agents it is able to reduce the time in which the formulation is cleared from the area .
What are the anecdotal references of using Russian Semax on Reddit r/nootropics?
There are a number of Semax reviews with some outstanding results. Namely it might be useful to read a comprehensive experience report of a person who was tracking changes and making records for several years based on regular Semax intake. Besides the author touches upon the problem of hair-loss that many people might be concerned with. The treatment brought some good results in terms of mood and memory, as the person had been previously in depression. The important thing was that the effect turned out long-term and there were no withdrawal issues.
In another post it was stated that Semax became quite an asset for treating depression, anxiety, and ADHD. In general it was said that Semax “is slightly stimulating, gives me motivation, removes much of my anxiety, and generally just improves my mood”. Among positive aspects the author mentioned absence of significant side-effects unlike products that the author had had a previous experience with.
Besides the reviews on conventional Semax you might want to get yourself acquainted with those on new forms of Semax which are still in the stage of clinical trials but some people are already using them at their own discretion. In one of such reviews a person claims that NA Semax and Semax Amidate improved their memory and general quality of life in terms of moods, motivation etc. There is also an interesting experience of a first-time user of nootropics in general who describes his/her daily sensations and findings after administering Semax Amidate.
Sometimes we also come across reviews of former drug addicts who are using Semax during the recovery period and describe some inspiring results from the treatment. In one of such reports it was claimed that the Semax nootropic helped the person to get back to a normal self and start socializing again. In yet another anecdotal reference post the authors describe their experience on a daily basis stating that Semax helped them to focus better on the daily routine.
Other forms of Semax® and their differences: N-Acetyl Semax, N-Acetyl Semax Amidate and Adamax
Several Semax derivatives have been developed lately including N-Acetyl Semax (NAS), N-Acetyl Semax Amidate (NASA), and Adamax.
NA Semax for example was synthesized in 2013 from Semax by acetic anhydride acetylation with the following HPLC purification in order to increase its stability in the biological environment. Indeed some experiments have shown that higher stability of these preparations can enhance their nootropic effect. NA Semax Amidate is one of the newest analogs of Semax. It crosses the blood-brain barrier easier than the original form of Semax and therefore is more potent. Adamax is the latest and the most potent version of Semax, hence a pretty expensive one. This is a brand new peptide with no human clinical research yet. It should be treated as a research compound, and should not be purchased based on anecdotal effect statements.
Even though retailers who sell these new forms explicitly instruct their customers that these are to be used for laboratory and academic research only, we can already read some impressive reviews on them doing wonders on humans. In general Semax derivatives like Acetyl Semax or Semax Amidate have a high potential and there is a strong need to carry on the research and trials of these forms of the original Semax as they might prove to have better bioavailability and longer half-life. But until then it’s hard to make predictions and compare these forms to the original Semax in terms of safety and general efficacy.
Why is Semax not approved in the USA by the FDA?
Please be aware that Semax nootropic is not approved by the FDA. It is hard to name the exact reason behind this phenomenon. But indeed very often we witness situations when quite effective and safe nootropics are successfully used in Central and Eastern Europe (Ukraine, Kazakhstan) and Russia, but they fail to be approved in the USA as their effectiveness is deemed insufficient enough. There can be several reasons for that:
High entry barriers for small companies
Unfortunately sometimes small- and medium-scale local producers do not always have enough funds to carry out expensive research that is required by the legislation of some countries and such companies lack the opportunity to introduce their preparations to a particular market.
Difference in criteria
Characteristics of an effective medication largely differ in Russia and the USA. In Russia a safe drug can be approved for commercialization even if it is not working for all people and not every time, while in America rules may differ. This might be true in the case of Semax nootropic. And vice versa some drugs that are widely used and approved in the US are considered highly unsafe and are strictly forbidden in Russia. For example, such drugs as Ritalin (Methylphenidate) and Adderall (amphetamine and dextroamphetamine) are prohibited in Russia because its contents are conceived narcotic substances. However it is approved by the FDA in the US for treating a number of disorders including ADHD and narcolepsy.
General attitude towards products and companies from Russia
Unfortunately it is impossible to ignore politics even when it comes to aspects of human health and medicine. Currently it is rather difficult to do business and develop something in the US because of the ongoing tough political relations between the two countries.
Is Semax legal in the US, UK, Australia?
The fact that Semax is not approved by the FDA does not mean that it’s illegal. It only means that Semax is not a scheduled chemical compound and you cannot buy it in pharmacies or drug stores in the US, UK or Australia. If a person does not have the intent to supply or resell it, Semax can be legally obtained for personal use in minor quantities in online stores or in other countries, for example in Russia.
As for the customs there are usually no issues with parcels containing nootropics like Semax.
Semax and Selank: what are the differences?
Semax and Selank are always on the list of the most popular products in the CosmicNootropic store, but how do I choose between the two of them? For those who are still in doubt on what peptide nootropics to use and how to make the proper choice, we are going to describe their differences in brief.
Both Semax and Selank are manufactured by Peptogen. Both are peptide nootropics for the brain. However, unlike regular nootropics, they have a different mechanism of action. A specific feature of these two preparations is that they help only if there is a specific need in the central nervous system.
Semax and Selank are two very different products. Even though they are both peptides administered intranasally, they produce different effects.
- Semax peptide is a nootropic that has pronounced stimulating effects for mental performance;
- Selank is an anxiolytic (anti-anxiety agent) with nootropic properties, antidepressant and antiasthenic effects.
In short, if you are looking for improved focus, mild stimulation, and faster learning – Semax is your choice. Selank will be useful for those looking to release stress, relax, and improve their mood. Combining Semax and Selank is NOT contraindicated.
The official drug sheets of Semax 1% and Semax 0.1%
International Non-Proprietary Name (INN): methionyl-glutamyl-histidyl-phenylalanil-prolyl-glycyl-proline.
Where can I buy Semax?
There are several companies where you can buy original Semax, namely:
- Cosmicnootropic.com is a reliable supplier which has been around for over 5 years. They mainly specialize in supplying original Russian medications that otherwise would be difficult to obtain.
- Rupharma.com is another trustworthy supplier with many positive reviews. They focus on delivering medical products from Russia, Europe and India.
- Amazon.com vendors is a number one online store that links businesses and customers in almost all aspects of life including medications.
Let’s compare current prices and the delivery cost for Semax. Prices listed in the table below are regular as of March 2021 for one unit without any special offers or discounts.
|Semax® 0.1%||15 USD||16 EUR||around 28 USD|
|Semax® 1%||65 USD||78 EUR||around 69 USD|
|Delivery||10 USD||15 EUR||free|
Where Can I buy alternative Semax versions?
Limitless Life Nootropics
LimitlessLifeNootropics.com is a provider of high-quality peptides and nootropics for research applications. Their delivery cost is 8.50USD plus 7% tax.
Science.bio is a chemicals vendor dedicated to providing reference materials of the highest quality for life science research.
- Semax Spray – 39.99-89.99USD. The cost of delivery varies depending on the destination address and the choice of the carrier (UPS, DHL etc.).
- Hardy JG et al (1985). Intranasal drug delivery by spray and drops. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2862235/
- Gusev EI, Skvortsova VI, Miasoedov NF et al (1997). Effectiveness of semax in acute period of hemispheric ischemic stroke (a clinical and electrophysiological study). https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=skvortsova%20VI%20semax
- Dolotov OV et al (2006). Semax, an analog of ACTH(4–10) with cognitive effects, regulates BDNF and trkB expression in the rat hippocampus. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16996037/
- Charlton S et al (2007). Distribution and clearance of bioadhesive formulations from the olfactory region in man: Effect of polymer type and nasal delivery device. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17223022/
- Tsai SJ (2007). Semax, an analogue of adrenocorticotropin (4-10), is a potential agent for the treatment of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and Rett syndrome. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16996699/
- Li B et al (2010). Neurotrophic peptides incorporating adamantane improve learning and memory, promote neurogenesis and synaptic plasticity in mice. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20600002/
- Miasoedov NF et al (2010). Nootropic and analgesic effects of Semax following different routes of administration. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21268834/
- Shevchenko KV et al (2013). Stability of Semax acetyl to proteolysis in various biological media. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23652441/
- Samsonova TV (2013). Use of Semax in the rehabilitation treatment of infants with perinatal hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy during the first year of life. https://semax.ru/upload/iblock/523/523138368695e8b4b6800637f8aa18ba.pdf
- Tsukurova LA et al (2013). Study of the efficacy and safety of neuroprotector “Semax 1%” in patients with ischemic stroke of varying severity. https://semax.ru/upload/iblock/1ac/1ac2847b34395afc21c81c4644dc3034.pdf
- Medvedeva EV et al (2014). The peptide Semax® affects the expression of genes related to the immune and vascular systems in rat brain focal ischemia: genome-wide transcriptional analysis. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24661604/
- Inozemtsev AN et al (2016). Semax prevents learning and memory inhibition by heavy metals. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27411820/
- Gusev EI et al (2018). The efficacy of Semax in the tretament of patients at different stages of ischemic stroke. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29798983/
- Lebedeva IS et al (2018). Effects of Semax on the Default Mode Network of the Brain. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30225715/
- Panikratova YR et al (2020). Functional Connectomic Approach to Studying Selank and Semax Effects. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32342318/
- Filippenkov IB et al (2020). Novel Insights into the Protective Properties of ACTH((4-7))PGP (Semax) Peptide at the Transcriptome Level Following Cerebral Ischaemia-Reperfusion in Rats. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32580520/
- Official web-site of the Russian Semax https://semax.ru/
- The Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation #3073-r November 23, 2020 http://tniikip.rospotrebnadzor.ru/upload/iblock/8de/8de243814654508812723d4c01ee3d7b.pdf
This article is intended for informational purposes only. All medical preparations must be taken upon the doctor’s advice and under medical supervision.
What do you think about this article? Have you found it interesting? Do you have any questions about Semax? For further discussion, please visit our subreddit r/CosmicNootropic to discuss this topic with us and other nootropics enthusiasts. Here is the discussion thread: